This morning the green fists of the peonies are getting ready
to break my heart
as the sun rises,
as the sun strokes them with his old, buttery fingers
-Peonies, Mary Oliver

13 March 2009

Conscious Breathing

You should try it sometime. Get away and alone. Stop the world except for your breathing. Then, breathe in and say to yourself, Breathing in. Exhale and say to yourself, Breathing out. Practice it for 10 minutes. See how it makes you feel.


I happened to pick up Thich Nhat Hanh's book Peace is Every Step Monday night, and for the next two days I practiced conscious breathing in solitude or sometimes as I walked around campus. It helped me relieve stress, and it helped me feel more cheerful as I greeted people. I felt more renewed than I expected. It helped me continue to see the wonder and beauty of the world in which I live.


“Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts.” - Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments: